Construction and excavation are related to each other. Both of them are complex activities that are carried by expert general contractors. Before you start constructing a new home, office, swimming pool, stadium or any other structure, you may need to hire an excavation company to excavate the area.
Excavation refers to the digging down of holes, both small and large for construction or archaeological purposes. There are several techniques that are used for carrying out the excavation activity for construction projects. You can ideally select any of these methods based on the area needs.
Some commonly followed excavation techniques are:
- Horizontal Excavation: This method is usually followed by shallow sites that don’t have any access to light. Since the excavation is done in a horizontal direction, any risk of structural damages to existing residential and commercial buildings is prevented.
- Vertical Excavation: It is one of the most popular excavation techniques that is followed for large construction areas that are surrounded by existing structures. Every layer of soil is pulled out one at a time until a rocky or deep soil layer is exposed off.
- Hybrid Excavation: If you are confused to select one out of the horizontal or vertical technique, then hybrid excavation is the one you should opt for. It is the combination of the above methods and is done when there is a need for deep underground excavation for a site.
- Cofferdams: General contractors practice this excavation technique for waterlogged areas or sites. If you are in doubt that the excavated site can collapse while digging out, then Cofferdams is the safest technique you should follow.
- Step Trenching: Alike all other methods, step trenching too involves deep excavation. The only difference is that it is done in steps. The more you dig, the narrower the steps become.
These are some of the common excavation techniques that are meant to carry out the excavation tasks depending on several factors. If you are looking for an excavation company in Niagara for basement construction services, feel free to consult our general contractors at Harris Excavation.